Monday, July 26, 2010

The Virtual End Of Summer

Yes it it still hot just about everywhere, folks are still on their summer holidays, the rains are threatening floods here and there, and yet for me summer is just about over. It seemed like just yesterday I was skipping happily out of the school house on May 22 to begin my coveted and well-deserved, I might add, two months time off to rest and reflect.. Bam! I opened my eyes and here I was this morning, in my office updating and cranking out course syllabi, handbooks, placing orders and preparing lesson plan for the the coming week. Here in Southern Arizona schools start early; my district welcomes students back to school August 3rd.
 
So where did this summer escape to? Well for me, a great deal of time was consumed with the surgery I had on my shoulder May 27th and the subsequent recovery period. Many trips to the doctor, PT and diagnostic centers. Then there was the business of the claims with the auto insurance companies for relief. Since this has been turned over to attorneys I can't speak further on it at this time.
 
Together with the medical issues just the process of procuring requested information was time consuming. So this "vacation" turned into one of the shortest that I can remember. I slept poorly for much of it, due to continued recovery from the surgery, and was unable to do the exercise regimen the I had planned, yet I did get a chance to spend quality time with my wife, who was an angel throughout the recovery process, at my side from surgery to all the doctors' appointments. I am so absolutely grateful for her love and support in all this.
 
So on balance my health is good and I am back to doing what I love and was trained for; teaching music to young people. I am excited for this coming year, knowing I will have great students to work with and will be host to a major jazz festival and a site host for a regional music festival this year. That's plenty to keep me busy. And I will will keep you posted, as always!

No comments:

Post a Comment