Friday, July 9, 2010

Microbrewed Beer

Last month I was given as a birthday gift a Mr. Beer brewery kit. Now trust me, I'm no beer drinker. I'll have one now and then but most are too bitter or too heavy for my tastes. The "German" beers seem like the worst for bitterness.

I was also skeptical about all the precautions needed for sterile conditions in brewwing because, well, sterile conditions scare me. So with all that on my mind I went about following directions to the letter and began brewing my first two gallons (!)of beer. It's a 14 day process at minimum, seven for fermentation and seven for "conditioning", where the beer is bottled in one liter bottles with a specified amount of sugar and allowed to sit for a minimum of seven more days. This step adds the carbonation to the brew.

Today was actually the fifteeth day, so I had popped two liters into the fridge a couple days ago. I opened one up today. Oh man, it's good! This one is a blond wheat beer, not heavy and just about right. Of course I quickly purchased an American golden brew too, and I have that fermentng now. Should be ready for bottling this weekend. I'll update you on that batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment