Thursday, July 22, 2010

Prized Students

Today I had one of those opportunities that means more to me than extra paychecks, and that was the chance to see deserving. talented and prized students receive the adulation they deserve. Yes it is something only a dedicated teacher would say; of that I must plead guilty.

I had been contacted by my superintendent in late May, inquiring as to whether or not I had a student or students available to perform the National Anthem at the Arizona Association of School Business Officers convention luncheon to be held on July 22nd in JW Marriott Starr Pass in Tucson. School is still not in session and I was mindful that I may have had difficulty finding anyone, but of course I had two very talented ladies (names/photos must be withheld) whom I could trust with preparing for this, especially since the organizers subsequently requested additonal music.

My two young ladies are seniors this year and among the most serious and responsible students that I have ever had. I contacted them via email exclusively and asked them if they could be available, and they readily agreed. I advised them to prepare additional music if they could in addition to the Anthem, which they sing as a duet beautifully. Both intend to prepare for careers in musicals and opera in college, so I gave them freedom to choose from that repertoire something appropriate. There would be professional sound in the hall so an accompaniment CD would be great if they had one. I asked if they needed any help and they both replied "No Mr. H., enjoy your summer, we'll take care of it."

With today's kids that's an awful lot of trust because kids are distracted by so many things nowadays that they can forget. Not these students, who are throwbacks. The prepared a fabulous routine to accompany selections from the Sound of Music and other famous shows, including a script and an excellent presentation. The thousand or so conventioneers in the hall were flabbergasted at the professionalism of the duo and of course heaped praise on the wrong person; me. I just typed a couple of emails, they did the rest.

It's working with students like these two that make my job enjoyable. Not easy, but enjoyable. I know that every school must have a few students who are so dedicated and so organized, but it's great to see them hard at work at my school. I have a feeling that this is going to be a great school year! Opening bell August 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment