Friday, July 23, 2010

So What Did You Look Like In High School?

I was looking through some old boxes today and came across my old high school year book and our wedding photo album. I'm definitely dating myself now but I graduated high school on June 19, 1975. I was 18 years old about to turn 19 on the 23rd of that year. I wasn't dumb, I just started late because my mom held me back a year so that I could go to school with my sister. We lived in a hard neighborhood. At one time I had a little natural going and I wore outrageous clothes: four inch stack shoes, wide bell-bottom pants and paisley shirts. Yeah, it was a seventies thing.  Of course I was in Army ROTC too, graduating with a brevet second lieutenant's commission. I never went into the army.
 
The second pic is nine years later, at our wedding. That was in my in-laws back yard. We had a small wedding with family and then a small reception afterward with friends and colleagues in a favorite Chicago Chinese restaurant, Cantonsia.  That date? August 17, 1984. I met Linda through a newspaper ad, in the decades before internet dating was born. We'd both been using newspaper ads to meet new people and struck gold on the third date for each of us, though I had a relationship just ending with a woman I had met through the ads months before.
 
Linda and I met in February of 1984 and we were engaged within two months. Everybody thought we were going too fast but 26 years later, I'm looking back and saying that we probably didn't move fast enough. It's just worked out. She looks just about the same of course, except for some gray hair. I have lost mine and put on sixty pounds. The weight I can shed; hey I can even fix the hair too if I chose to, or just shave it all, lol! At my age you can look back and feel bad or look forward and feel great. I choose the latter!

No comments:

Post a Comment