Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Thoughts Before a Surgery

Back in August 2009 I was rear-ended at a stop light on a bright Saturday morning. I drive a truck so I hardly felt anything, although there was a jolt. I didn't feel any pain at the time, but a few days later I was moving furniture and I felt a sharp twinge in my shoulder. I knew right then that something was wrong.

A subsequent MRI revealed a partial tear in my rotator cuff tendon, probably caused by the seatbelt in my truck. The orthopdedic surgeon that I saw prescribed a conservative approach. He ordered six weeks PT and then another evaluation. Tendons don't heal on their own but with strengthening of the muscle around it we hoped that the work of the torn tendon could be reduced.

I followed the program faithfully and the arm did improve, but in the end there was still pain. I had a second MRI done, with dye injected into the shoulder (that was painful). This time the images revealed a 90% tear. That was enough for the surgeon to recommend arthroscopic surgery.

So that is were I am right now. Being a trombone player, it has been tough to practice because of the pain. I took leave from the Civic Orchestra of Tucson after the injury was diagnosed and could only play one concert this season with them. I took other assignments but in the end knew that I needed to get this done.

Tomorrow at 9am I go into surgery, for what has been described as an hour procedure. I have had surgeries in the past and I am never at ease with them. I don't usually do well with anesthesia and of course I'll be without my right arm for six weeks. Linda will be with me the whole time so I feel comforted in that fact.

But it's also an opportunity. I can't play trombone of course, but I should be okay with guitar. That will help keep me musically active. At least I hope so. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment