Friday, May 28, 2010

My Experience With Modern Outpatient Surgery

Thursday morning I walked into the surgery suite of Tucson Northwest Surgery Center to have my torn rotator cuff tendon repaired. I have previously described how I hurt my shoulder. The check-in was very easy and quick; sign in at the front desk, show my insurance card and pay my share of the surgery center fee not covered by insurance. My wife, Linda, was with me.

My name was called quickly and I was led to Pre-Op, where I stripped off my clothes and changed into a surgical gown. Everybody was nice. The prep nurse started an IV after making Swiss cheese out of one vein in my hand. It kept rolling and she was not happy with initial stick. It hurt like hell, to be honest. She eventually took that one out and found a second, vein. This was easier but still painful.

What followed was a dizzying array of nurses and doctors, all with questions and explaining what they were there to do. I didn’t see my surgeon until the end. The prep nurse returned with Vicodin and Celibrex, which the surgeon wanted I my system first. The anesthesiologists (yes there were two) explained that this surgery required a pain block; the injection of a drug into a neck nerve that would deaden my arm for 18-24 hours. The used an ultrasound to find the nerve, and then they administered “happy juice”, self-described by the senior doctor. I cared less as they inserted a big needle in my neck. I never felt it.

I was aware of things as I was wheeled into surgery but only vaguely. I do remember them putting me onto the operating table and reading the manufacturer label on the oxygen mask. Last thing I remembered was the senior anesthesiologist, a rocker type in a Phillies surgical headdress, said “nite-nite” and I was gone.

Seconds later I awoke in the recovery room, Linda sitting by the bedside and talking to a doctor that she knew. I was there an hour until my head cleared and the line removed from my arm. I was trussed an elaborate sling and I could not move my right arm. It didn’t even feel like it was a part of my body. But I was in no pain. Rather stiffly I was dressed and helped off the bed. They wheeled me out to our waiting car and off we went. In at 9:00 and out at 2:30. And that’s modern outpatient surgery!

Today, 24 hours later, the pain block is gone and I do feel stiff and sore, but it’s manageable. I do have a sore throat from intubation, but I always get that. This was my forth surgery. I look forward to a very speedy recovery. Today was better than yesterday, and tomorrow will be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment