Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Eastern Arizona College Large Ensemble Festival

We are back from the 2011 Eastern Arizona College Large Ensemble Festival. I took my Mixed Chorus, a younger group of students who have generally not had much high school singing experience. These students work hard but don't take private lessons and need extra special coaching on good, consistent choral tone and sound quality.

I was going to reinforce their sound with some "ringers"; men from my advanced Chorale, the group that went to Anaheim two weeks ago. Unfortunately another big field trip from another department and some grades issues got in the way of that plan. I then scrapped all the planned music and changed it on Monday; these kids buckled down, learned new parts in two days and just sang so well today. These videos don't quite capture the sound they made as expressed by the three clinicians.

I knew that they would score a Good and maybe an Excellent. I didn't expect the Superior that came out of this performance, as determined by the judges. It was a great bus ride home afterward and such a lift for these great kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment