Friday, May 27, 2011

Surgery Anniversary

On May 27, 2010 I entered the surgical suites of Tucson Orthopedic Institute as apprehensive as I had ever been. My right shoulder, more specifically, the rotator cuff in my right shoulder had been injured in an auto accident the year before. I had been through tests and physical therapy, trying to avoid the surgery but I couldn't escape it. There was just too much discomfort.

The surgery I recall went as I had been advised. I'd done my homework too, researching online the procedure and reading of the experiences of other patients. I knew what to expect. Without being too graphic, the procedure was done by arthroscope; poke holes were made in the shoulder and after cleaning out the joint, an anchor was inserted into the top of the bone and the torn cartilage was sutured to it.

That first day I was numbed up pretty good and there was not much pain. I was in an arm brace, which Linda dutifully helped me to get into and out of each day. It was the nights that were terrible. I couldn't lay flat in a bed for several days, and the painkillers I had been given for when the numbing agents wore off didn't really touch the pain.

I didn't sleep well for well over three weeks following the surgery. And I learned quickly just how much I should treasure being able to do the little things in life - like putting on my own socks or just using my right arm to eat. I am so right handed it's not funny, and using me left arm to hold spoons, folks and knives was not pretty.

I must saw that through all this discomfort the one constant in my life was Linda. She was there every step of the way. When I had to sit up all those nights on the couch because I couldn't lat flat she slept on the couch with me. She made an uncomfortable situation tolerable. That's what it means to love and cherish someone.

A few weeks after the surgery, I think it was two, I started physical therapy twice a week. Little steps, like rolling a ball across a table while keeping my hand on it, lifting one pound weight, or pulling on a thin piece of latex. Those things seem easy but they were quite the challenge at the time, believe me.

Of course I was working out every day at home as well and gradually, the shoulder began to build some strength. I was really worried how it would hold up in July, when I took a short trip to Jamaica, but it was fine. Wading in the pools there I think really helped.

Today, I'd say it's 99% back, though I don't have the complete range of motion that I have in the left, especially reaching behind my back, as in back scratching motions. But it feels strong and I can do shoulder presses of up to 100 lbs without any discomfort. In fact, the shoulder feels better than the left now, which I know is arthritic. Oh it's hell to get old folks!

Now I know that I used to bench press 250, and that may have been the start of my shoulder woes prior to my auto accident. I know those days are past, but I do realize the importance of a light weight program and I am committed to that. I love working with bands. They offer great resistance but there is no impact in returning the weight to it's starting point, which is where the stress on joints come in.

So today I will lift a glass of water and toast to a year of hard work, being grateful for so many things in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment