Friday, May 13, 2011

Graduation

By now you know that I am especially fond of this year's senior class at my school. It was a great class of musically talented young people. The only other senior class that comes to mind as talented was the 2001 class. That class spawned several music teachers, two Air Force pilots and even a doctor. I am pleased to say that at least I did not run them off from pursuing their dreams. It's always a sad, yet reflective time for me.

Just today I received a card and photo from a senior who told me how much I meant to her in the four years that I knew her. She's going on to music study at Bowling Green and I am truly happy to see her chase her dreams, yet saddened that she will not be be a fixture in my program in the years to come. A truly great kid, she is marked for greatness, as so many of these seniors are. This is what teaching is truly about. I'm crying in pride and joy!

Here is an audio from a rehearsal this week of my senior Chorale's graduation song. There are still some vocal and musical issues to be addressed after school next week, but I think the message is clear in this wonderful tune, by Darmon Meader.



No comments:

Post a Comment