Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Dry Rub Recipe


It’s the start of the barbecue and grilling season again and once again we are all outside doing our thing. The age old question with smoking comes into play with brisket and ribs – wet rub or dry rub. I know that both sides have their heated proponents and I don’t want to anger anybody. I certainly do not want to start a regional fight, but apologies made, I do prefer the dry rub myself!

The problem that I find with so many wet rubs is that there is often too much sugar in the mixtures, which can burn on the meat, even at the low temperatures found in smokers. And if you are using bottled barbecue sauces those preparations are loaded with salt, preservative chemicals and sugars – not exactly what you want to put on a fine cut of ribs or brisket.

Here is my recipe for the dry rub that I use for smoking or grilling. It is a spicy, yet not over the top rub with I think just the right combination of salt, sweet and spice. It won’t burn readily (yes there is some brown sugar, which can be omited if yiu are concerned), and if you are using fresh dried spices it should keep in a sealed jar or container about six months.

3 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. coarse salt (Kosher)
2 Tbsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tsp. Cayenne pepper
1 Tsp. crushed Mexican Chili Piquin (red pepper flakes will do)
1 Tsp. cumin
1 Tsp. oregano
11/2 Tsp. brown sugar

Mix all of these ingredients well and seal tightly until ready to use. Pour out what you intend to use into a small bowl to apply to your raw meats if you don’t want to use it all. This will prevent contamination from hands handling raw meat. Rub this in your meats thoroughly; for best results refrigerate the meat overnight or for at least an hour or two before grilling or smoking. I always have a fresh batch of this spice mixture in my pantry. It works great on beef, pork and even chicken.

If the mix seems too spicy or not sweet enough experiment with the portions until you come up with a combination that works for you. I prefer Kosher salt because it has a better flavor to me and being coarse, it’s not as salty as regular table salt. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment