Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Weight Watchers Update

Boy, I'm so behind here in updates! Thus far, I am about 15 pounds on the good side after seven weeks of following the Weight Watchers For Men system. Honestly, I don't know how I have lost this weight because I have not been working out as I should, and I have eaten what I want. But the scale does not lie. What I am doing is following my daily points very closely (and being honest about it).

That is the key, because if you can accurately account for what you eat (and it's simple if you login daily online) it becomes easy to manage what you are eating. I'm also making use of many of the recipes on the site and posting a few of my own and sharing as well.

The secret to all of this is simply portion control! Measure your portions and stick to it. We overeat as a society as if it's a virtue; indeed we believe that restaurants that serve oversize portions are good values, and patronize them enthusiastically. I've nothing against a dining good value for my hard earned dollar, but I'm also realizing that what may be good for my wallet may not be so good for my belly, and as an extension, my health and well-being.

So what do you do when eating out at Claim Jumpers or Cheesecake Factory, for example? Look for menu items that are not fried, or if you must, don't feel compelled to eat every thing on your plate. Some of those servings are really three or four meals in one. Ask for that doggie bag and take home a portion!

Alcohol consumption is hidden calories that we don't often consider. Two glasses of wine, innocuous to say the least, can equal a whole meal in calories. Add a beer or two and dessert and your meal is now equal to several days worth of calories. Our problem is that we don't think of the cost as we consume the calories, then regret them later when those clothes we just bought suddenly are too tight.

Using the Weight Watchers system, I have become acutely aware of what I'm eating. Really, I don't feel starved or deprived at all. I'm eating what I want, mindful of the fat, carb and cholesterol content, and feeling quite satisfied. A big test was the Thanksgiving holiday, an opportunity to throw caution to the wind, as most of us do. I came out of this long weekend by losing a pound and a half, and I ate my fair share, not feeling deprived at all.

I'm not delusional in thinking I'm there. There is a long way to go in order to meet my long term targets and I know it. But now I have a system and a way to cope with the setbacks along the way. I'm confident that I will meet those targets and maintain afterward!

No comments:

Post a Comment