Monday, October 1, 2012

A New Hobby For Me!

















I admit it, I am a tech geek! But the problem with that for me is that I half understand the concepts, just start to get used to equipment and then something new comes out. I get frustrated easily. Take music editing, for example. I am a musician and educator, so it would seem quite natural for me to be involved with recording studio principles. Yes, I have some audio equipment, and have had some minor successes, but it seems as if the technology constantly changes and there is always a new gizmo to own, whether it programs, computers, hardware ... you get my drift. It also gets very expensive very quickly.

I also have always enjoyed photography, but have had so little time for it with work and my other interests, which include of course includes writing and blogging. Recently I decided to upgrade my old camera with a new Nikon DSLR and also to take a few online classes. It's a whole new world to me; that world is so full of sights that we take for granted or never even notice. With this new hobby i have found myself taking far more interest in the environment around me; plants, wildlife, clouds, rock formations and lighting effects.

I'm learning how to adjust aperture and shutter settings to bring the spectacular out of the mundane. Here for example is an inexpensive water fountain on my wife's desk. It's just a collection of plastic tube with a few rocks and water highlighted by an LED light kit. Open up the aperture and slow down the shutter speed and textures you never imagined come into play:



As I get better I will be posting more pictures that I have composed here and on Facebook. It's a fun avocation and while it too can be pricey (some of those telephoto lenses can cost $1200 or more), you can easily build a nice portfolio with about a $700 initial investment. Brand loyalty I'm not in to. Canon makes great cameras as well (plus a few others). You don't have to spend a fortune either. Classes? Man, here is so much free stuff on the internet that I don't know if it is possible to absorb it all. Grab a camera and start experimenting!


No comments:

Post a Comment