Thursday, June 16, 2011

Navy Educator Recruiting Week





I was fortunate to be part of a group educators this past week invited by the US Navy to tour their San Diego base and facilities to learn about the Navy's message and deliver it to our students as a post-high school option. I have learned so much that I was not aware of as I visited Special Warfare units (SEALS-SWCC), saw aircraft repair capabilities, training facilities, housing, and toured a sub and missile destroyer.

Along the way I gained a new found appreciation for our men and women in uniform. The level of training and commitment to continuous educations, the steps they take to keep us safe, and their pure dedication to their country, the flag and the uniform make me proud to be an American and I rest easy at night knowing that out there these young people are fighting to keep us safe.

The message that I am bringing back is that the Navy is a wonderful place for the right young man or woman, and could be a highly rewarding career. I am also bringing back the message that finishing high school is reinforced now by all the armed services. You just can't drop out now, get a GED and go into the service. You'll have to take 15 credits at a junior college before you are accepted if you choose that route, so you may as well get your diploma.

Apart from that, so many opportunities in computer technology, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, aviation, construction, medical and so many other fields, including music! And of course for the mentally tough there are the SEALS and SWCC teams, those small unit anti-terrorist and special warfare groups that get so much attention in the media and film.

I am thankful for this paid-for week, and I will do my part to spread the word to my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment